Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Parent's Night Out... Getting All Dressed Up!


Last night Phil and I got a special occasion to dress up and go out! We got to go to the Henry P. Iba Citizen Athlete Awards at the Renaissance Hotel. We do NOT expect this each year, because it's such a special treat to get to go, but we have gotten to go to this big event 5 out of the last 7 years. Phil and I were able to attend this event through his company because they had some extra tickets. Going to this is like the highlight of my year! I LOVE it!


This event draws some of the biggest athletic celebrities in Oklahoma and around the U.S. It's so cool to be able to look around and see people like Barry Switzer, Eddie Sutton and his sons, Nolan Richardson, and in past years Bob Stoops and Mike Gundy. Each year the organization honors 2 athletes who exemplify amazing athletic talent, but also people who use their resources to help others. This year, Ruth Riley (WNBA - San Antonio Silver Stars) and Brian Waters (Kansas City Chiefs) were given the award. Doug Gottlieb (former OSU basketball player and now ESPN personality) was the M.C. and Scott Brooks (OKC Thunder head coach) was the Keynote Speaker. So cool!

Here's another pic of us... but I think it's SO cute because you can see Bennett in the lower left corner peeking out the window at us! hehe!


It was awesome food, too! Steak and lobster and a really great chocolate mouse dessert. Yum!Last year we sat at Scott Sutton's table, and this year we shared a table with Rocky Calmus' brothers.


And just for fun, here's us in past years...

This is in 2005 ...


And in 2007 ...


And last year, I went 9 months pregnant! (Sidenote: last year the Male Athlete Award was given to Drew Brees! We got to see him in person before he won the Super Bowl!)


And I have to tell a funny story: I fixed my own hair for the event last night. I wasn't sure how to do an updo, so I went online and watched a 6-minute YouTube video on how to do it!! I felt a little nerdy and thought it probably looked a little stupid.

So, as we got there, Phil went in to use the bathroom and I was standing out in the hallway of the hotel. A lady walked up to me and said, "Oh my, let me look at your hair!!" I was seriously wondering if Phil had put a stranger up to this, so I was waiting for him to walk out and laugh. She kept going on and on about it saying, "Wow! This looks so good! Where did you get this done?" I said hesitantly, "Actually I did this myself..." She said, "Oh my gosh! Are you kidding?! How did you learn to do that?" I told her embarrassingly that I watched an online video on how to do it. She said, "Are you kidding? What a great idea!! I'm going to try that!!" I was TOTALLY cracking up after she left. Phil walked up halfway through that conversation and got to hear the end of it. We both laughed so hard!!

2 comments:

Sally said...

Wow! I'm just surprised that you knew all those names and who they were! Go Katie!! :)

Valerie said...

That updo is fantastic! Your hair ALWAYS looks good. I am actually surprised you had to watch a video for that since it always seems you have your hair fixed up so cute. But way to think outside the box! Carrie Underwood, your twin, would be proud...;)